|Platform: win10||Date: (C)2016-09-23 (M)2018-03-24|
Ensure No Auditing for 'Audit Policy: Object Access: Filtering Platform Connection'
This subcategory reports when connections are allowed or blocked by WFP. These events can be high in volume. Events for this subcategory include:
- 5031: The Windows Firewall Service blocked an application from accepting incoming connections on the network.
- 5154: The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted an application or service to listen on a port for incoming connections.
- 5155 : The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked an application or service from listening on a port for incoming connections.
- 5156: The Windows Filtering Platform has allowed a connection.
- 5157: The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a connection.
- 5158: The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted a bind to a local port.
- 5159: The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.
Refer to the Microsoft Knowledgebase article "Description of security events in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008" for the most recent information about this setting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947226.
Enable Audit policy settings that support the organizational security policy for all the computers in your organization. Identify the components that you need for an audit policy that enables your organization to hold users accountable for their actions while using organizational resources and enables IT departments to detect unauthorized activity efficiently and then track those events in log files.
If no audit settings are configured, or if audit settings are too lax on the computers in your organization, security incidents might not be detected or not enough evidence will be available for network forensic analysis after security incidents occur. However, if audit settings are too severe, critically important entries in the Security log may be obscured by all of the meaningless entries and computer performance and the available amount of data storage may be seriously affected. Companies that operate in certain regulated industries may have legal obligations to log certain events or activities.
(1) GPO: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Advanced Audit Policy Configuration\Audit Policies\Object Access\Audit Policy: Object Access: Filtering Platform Connection
|SCAP Repo OVAL Definition||oval:org.secpod.oval:def:35492|